Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New York

When I was a little boy before I went to bed on Friday and Saturday nights, or during the summer if I had a nightmare or got a tummy ache, I would curl up in my parents bed with my dad and watch old TV programs on Nick @ Nite. At this time they showed episodes of Gilligans Island, Bewitched and my least favorite show Dragnet. One night, I had to have been no older then 4, We watched an episode of Dragnet. In the episode it there was an intense car crash, shown only in photos, from LA! I rationalized a fear of New York City that night. For years, until ironically October 2001, I hated going into the city. I was plagued with a fear that I would be mugged, murdered, beaten or even killed in a car accident. I vividly remember one instance probably in 97 or 98 when we went in to visit family friends from London. They were staying at a beautiful hotel right in the shadow of the World Trade Center and we decided to go to the South Street Seaport to have a meal and walk around. The Beautiful hotel with its financial district surroundings gave me a different view of New York and I became aware of the cities beauty.

Upon arrival to the SSS we ate a meal and then my dad and I went to the bathroom. The bathroom looked as though it had last been cleaned and renovated in the 20's and my fear gained more momentum. I couldn't speak my feelings because I was paralyzed with fear with every stranger coming into the restroom.

Fast Forward: I look at this experience and my views of NYC and think about what I think now. I am moving to the city that instilled the worst fear ever in me. I have lived in two cities (Chicago and LA) prior and living in Nyack the city is only a few miles away, or an hour by BUS! I am completely and utterly in love with NYC. The hustle and bustle, the culture, the people and the sidewalk hot dog vendors. Through friends I have discovered cool coffee shops, neighborhood bars, restaurants. I have learned for myself that TKTS, Broadway, MOMA, the Met and Central Park are only a subway ride away. The fear once had for the city that doesn't sleep has been replaced with an undying love for New York, NEW YORK!

Please and Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment